Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I had it done, but do I support surgery?

Day 20 #NHBPM:

Write about alternative treatments / regimens / medicine. What do you support? What is crazy?

I'll focus on the world of weight loss in this regard. I had weight loss surgery (RnY Gastric Bypass) because I was severely overweight. Now, I didn't have any health issues aside from being overweight, which I suppose was a miracle in itself. I honestly had the surgery more for vanity reasons than health reasons (I was 24). The second reason was because I wanted to be more physically fit. And the third was to extend my life and better my future through health.

Prior to surgery, I had tried numerous different diets and regimens for losing weight. The best was my freshman year in college...oddly enough. I walked everywhere, had a little routine I did before bed and in the morning (leg lifts, situps, etc), and forgot to eat because I was playing video games all night. At some point I had gotten to a size 16 jeans without knowing it! It was pretty awesome! Though, I wouldn't necessarily recommend the not eating part; just lower the quantity of quality food. After that year, though I slowly gained and gained. I tried Atkins (...there's a crazy regret), Weight Watchers (it'd be okay if it didn't have all those processed WW foods!), and just working out (doesn't mean I can eat whatever I want...). But it never lasted more than a month.

Do I regret having the surgery? Yes and no. I think that if I were to have figured out what I know now about food I wouldn't have needed it, thus giving up the saggy skin, the need to take so many vitamins, and the funky/rearranged insides. But, I wouldn't have probably figured that out without having gone the path I did. And I certainly don't regret my life right now.

Do I support it for others? Also a yes and no. I look back at the weight loss surgery community and kind of cringe. There are so many people that I don't think really need to result to it. I really want to urge them down this plant-based diet path. In my opinion the people that only need to lose 75-100 pounds could easily do so by shifting their diet to natural, whole foods. Forget the diet foods; they're worthless. Go plant-based! Drink green juice! Cut out the processed foods! Eat organic! Try to do as high raw as possible! Even if you're not willing to go vegetarian or vegan, you can still go plant-based and be completely satisfied.

Rip Esselstyn, creator of the Engine 2 Diet
I will say that there are those that are morbidly obese (as I was considered) and higher that need to lose that weight NOW. Although, if you've seen Fat Sick and Nearly Dead you know it's possible to still become healthy at such high weights. But, for those that have tried this and can't discipline themselves enough to save their lives (this isn't a snarky jab, I was there), then do the surgery. There are multiple different kinds now; some that barely change how your insides work such as the Gastric Sleeve (I wish my surgeon did the Duodenal Switch). But the individual needs to realize that it is only a tool (a leaky one at that) and that they need to ultimately change their diet. I DEFINITELY recommend a plant-based diet.

Things I Support:

  • Fresh Fruit (organic if possible)
  • Fresh Green Vegetables (organic if possible)
  • Filtered Water
  • Green Juice (or whatever color it turns out in my case)
  • Daily Exercise
  • Meditation
  • Yoga
  • Running
  • Loose Leaf, Free Trade Tea
  • Almond Milk
  • Raw Foods

Things I Don't Support:
  • Processed Foods
  • Soda/Pop
  • Diet Drinks/Shakes
  • Coffee
  • Animal Products (or at least do organic, grass fed dairy and meat, free range and probiotic free chicken, and wild caught fish)
  • Gluten

--------------------------

Week 1, Day 2  0 to 13.1:

Yesterday felt good. I did 20 min on the elliptical at the apartment gym. I've not been in there forever! I was happy to have gotten home and immediately put my gym clothes on. Originally I wanted to do it during my lunch break, but I was busy with work. Score for getting it done at home! Though, I will admit that when I got to the strength training part I wanted to only do about half and then give up. Not because it was hard; I just didn't want to do the work! Kind of sad...I did do more reps than it said in the end, though. YAY me.

--------------------------

Inspiring People!

There is this lady; probably my age or maybe a little younger; that I've bumped into multiple times at the complex gym since I've lived here(2 years now). She used to be extremely overweight. I remember seeing her at about 5:45-6PM as I was driving home; she'd be out running. This was about a year ago. After running she'd hit the gym...I remember noticing it was faithfully around 7 every day.

One day I really wish I had told her I was completely impressed with her dedication because she was out running and working out just about every day. I never did, sadly and then I stopped going to the gym. I would still see her out running though for a good month after. And then either my schedule changed or hers did and I stopped seeing her amongst the other runners on the sidewalk.

Last night I spotted her doing her thing running down the street! She had to have lost at least 100 pounds! She was so little! As before, we met up in the gym. Seriously...she looks amazing. Sure, she's got some more pounds to go, but cripes, she looks like she's lost half of herself! Again, I wish I had made mention that she looks amazing and darnit I will next time (I foresee more gym usage with it getting colder). She's kept it up since I last saw her, which is awesome! I couldn't help but think she recognized me and thought "man, she looks the same..." -- HAH...so true...and sad.

Perhaps I can strike up a conversation with her and get to know her. Inspiration buddies! I wonder how long she runs now.

No comments:

Post a Comment